Modern Warfare 2 best settings on PC for FPS, graphics, visibility, etc.
❘ Posted: 2022-11-11T10:58:00
❘ Updated: 2022-11-11T10:59:23
To squeeze the most FPS out of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 while still maintaining the beauty of the game, you’ll want to tweak the PC settings for quality, view, and display. Here are the best settings for PC players on MW2, with a quick explanation of each.
New PC games these days come with countless video settings to tinker with, and while some may be self-explanatory, you may be scratching your head as to what is FidelityFX CASand other parameters with confusing names.
To help you out, here are the best PC settings for modern warfare 2to ensure you get a smooth frame rate no matter what GPU you have, while keeping the game looking as good as possible while you play.
Best PC settings on MW2 for maximum FPS
For a fast-paced shooter like Modern Warfare 2, you’ll want to make sure you’re mining your GPU for as many frames per second as possible, even if it comes at the expense of some shadows and flare.
But, some graphics settings can be beneficial on a higher setting from a gameplay perspective, so you don’t want to just put everything on “low” and call it a day. Here are the best settings to use.
Display settings for MW2
- Display mode: Full screen exclusive – Great for reducing latency
- Display monitor: Choose your main display with the highest refresh rate
- Display Adapter: This is just your Graphic card
- Screen refresh rate: Maximum for your monitor (144hz, 240hz…)
- Display resolution: set it to 1080p – If you have a very high end GPU, you can use 1440p, but 1080p will be better for FPS. 4K is not recommended as it will have a significant impact on FPS.
- Dynamic resolution: Stopped – it can change the resolution of the game at unexpected times, which can be distracting
First, you need to make sure your display settings are in order for your PC and monitor.
- Aspect ratio: Auto (16:9)
- V-Sync Game: Stopped – V-Sync enabled may cause increased latency
- V-Sync menu: Stopped
- Custom frame rate limit: Custom
- Custom frame rate limit: 300
- Menu Custom Frame Rate Limit: 90
- Custom frame rate limit: 30
- Display Gamma: 2.2 (sRGB)
- Brightness: Preference
- Focus mode: Stopped
- Quality presets: Custom
- Render resolution: 100
- Scaling / Sharpening: FidelityFX CAS (Note: a bug may reset this option for some players)
- Strength of FidelityFX CAS: 65 – It will make the game sharper without affecting the FPS too much.
- Anti-aliasing: SMAA T2X
- Antialiasing quality: Normal – By setting this to Down will slightly improve the FPS, but the quality improvement from Normal is probably worth it.
- Video memory scale: 90 – You want to use the maximum available VRAM.
These are the optimal MW2 settings for your graphics for maximum FPS.
- Texture resolution: Normal
- Anisotropic texture filter: High – FPS barely affected by this higher setting
- Close level of detail: Down
- Distant level of detail: High – Optimized for gaming experience
- Footprint drawing distance: Short
- Particle quality: High – High can improve performance, will almost never reduce FPS
- Particle quality level: Down
- Bullet impacts and sprays: On – Important for multiplayer game
- Shader quality: Medium
- Tessellation: Stopped
- Terrain Memory: Max
- Diffusion of textures on demand: Stopped
- Broadcast quality: Down
- Volumetric quality: Down
- Delayed physical quality: Down – Only affects water
- Water caustics: Stopped – Only affects water
- Shadow map resolution: Down
- Quality of point shadows: Down
- Cache Spot Shadows: On
- Point Cache: Down
- Cache Soleil Shadows: On
- Particle Lighting: Down
- Ambient Occlusion: Stopped
- Screen Space Reflections: Stopped
- Static reflection quality: Down
- Weather network volumes: Stopped
- Nvidia Reflex Low Latency: On – Significantly improves latency. If you are CPU bound, use the ON+BOOST option.
- Depth of field : Stopped
- Global Motion Blur: Stopped
- Weapon Motion Blur: Stopped
- Film Grain: 0.00
- Field of view: 100–110 – This is up to you, but around 100 should give the best balance between visibility and performance. Higher values also make distant enemies harder to see.
- ADS Field of View: Affected
- Weapon Field of View: Default
- 3rd Person Field of View: 80-100
- Vehicle field of vision: Default
- First person camera movement: Less (50%)
- 3rd person camera movement: Less (50%)
- 3rd person ADS transition: Your preference
- Default Spectator Camera: Your preference
These are the best settings for Modern Warfare 2 on PC, to maximize your FPS while enjoying good graphical fidelity and no gameplay drawbacks.
Of course, an obvious way to also increase your FPS is to get a more powerful graphics card, so check out our list of best GPUs here. You should also ensure that the latest graphics drivers are installed.
MW2 also has a built-in benchmark tool, so you can change your settings and select the benchmark playlist to test the results.
For more on Modern Warfare 2, be sure to check out our other guides:
Modern Warfare 2 New Gear Guide: Lethal and Tactical Effects Explained | How to Drag Undo in Modern Warfare 2 | How to Unlock Oni Operator & Blueprint in Modern Warfare 2 | All Modern Warfare 2 killstreaks | What is Modern Warfare 2’s Spec Ops mode? | All the perks of Modern Warfare 2 | All Modern Warfare 2 Field Upgrades