Maxon unveils updates for Cinema 4D and other key products
At November 3D and Motion Show, maxon revealed several updates to the company’s suite of professional software solutions for editors, filmmakers, motion designers and visual effects artists.
Highlights include a new feature for Cinema 4D – Pyro – which allows artists to create fire, smoke and explosions, now easily simulated using a GPU or CPU. Other Cinema 4D features include a built-in Redshift camera and radial symmetry for modeling. Forger extends its professional modeling capabilities by adding Cinema 4D symmetry capabilities, and the latest version of VFX enhances Real Lens Flares with more natural elements, adding Schmutz and Diffraction effects to the optical simulation. Finally, the latest version of Trapcode offers an updated, interactive user interface for Particular’s curves and color gradients.
Cinema 4D 2023.1
- Pyro allows artists to emit smoke, fire, and explosions from any Cinema 4D object or spline and quickly simulate the effects on the GPU or CPU. Smoke density, fire temperature and other parameters can be controlled to artistically direct the simulation. Thanks to Pyro’s integration with Cinema 4D’s unified simulation system, fabrics and soft bodies can be ignited and fan the flames.
- The new built-in RS camera features intuitive physical camera controls and Redshift effect settings. A new sensor adjustment option makes it easier to render with overscan or adapt compositions for different aspect ratios.
- The new Radial Symmetry feature allows artists to interactively model anything round by setting a number of slices and offsets.
- Redshift material viewport preview is improved, with support for animated textures, ramps, and color correction nodes.
- Support for procedural polygon selections and vertex maps on generators has been improved and now also includes support for field-based point and edge selections.
Forger continues to bring the full modeling capabilities of Cinema 4D to iPad with the addition of Symmetry modeling.
- Mirror models in Forger with symmetry in the new release, making the modeling experience on iPad closer than ever to what Cinema 4D offers on the desktop.
Visual Effects 2023.1
- The first full launch of Real Lens Flares contains new features and performance improvements. Since our engine has now been field tested since launch, backwards compatibility of presets and projects can be assured.
- Dozens of new presets as well as basic lens prescriptions have been added to Real Lens Flares.
- Schmutz makes a grimy lens shimmer in the light reflected from the glass, and users can choose from several different textures.
- Diffraction occurs when light bends around the edge of an aperture, adding a rippling effect to our reflections, while subtly softening the rendering.
Trapcode 2023.1 offers a completely refreshed and upgraded user interface for particular curves and color gradients, as well as new emitter block presets for form behaviors and improved performance.
- New curve and color gradient user interfaces make it easier to control and artistically direct the appearance of particles.
- Four new form behavior presets have been added to the designer emitter block inside Particular to speed up the creation process.
- Several improvements have been added to the migration of older projects as well as improved Bounce physics.
- Improved interactivity with the Curve Pencil tool allows users to achieve desired results faster with greater control through Curve Multi-point Selection and improved Curve Point Location controls.
- Users can now save, load and share their own custom curve and gradient presets.
- Redesigned color gradients are more responsive and provide greater precision and flexibility in creating gradients.
Maxon provides Capsule assets that subscribers can use as a creative boost. Artists can now easily compose a photographed product with the new Backdrop Primitive. A new square star spline and FUI ring spline create a variety of reticle and reticle shapes for FUI graphics.
Cineware for Unreal
An updated Cineware for Unreal integration now supports Cinema 4D 2023.1 and Unreal Engine 5.0.3. Easily import C4D files into Unreal and make changes without leaving the engine environment.
Debbie Diamond Sarto is Editor-in-Chief of Animation World Network.